Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Teach Ye Diligently

I have always loved a certain section of D & C 88 . I love it because I homeschool my children. I love it because it tells how we can edify others by learning together. I love the idea that teaching each other helps all involved to be prepared. I love how things are brought around in a full circle of learning in the middle of this section.

I think part of D & C 88 is made manifest through the goals of this blog. In D & C 88:74 the Lord gives a commandment to "assemble yourselves together, and organize yourselves, and sanctify yourselves;" And here we are--virtually assembled in an organized fashion trying to sanctify ourselves.

Then, in verse 77 "I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom." And what shall we teach? Verses 79-86 give a good outline.

Verse 78 lets us know that by doing this we can be uplifted by the grace of God in a perfect way. "Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in...(many things)...that are expedient for you to understand;" It is awesome to hear the testimonies of others, to know the insights that someone else has gleaned in their scripture studies. It promotes faith. It strengthens my testimony. It gives me reasons to go look up some things in the scriptures that others have talked about and learn more or confirm a truth for myself.

To me, verses 87 - 116 give the reason why we should teach diligently--the Second Coming.

Verse 117 and 118 sum things up, "Therefore, verily I say unto you, my friends, call your assembly, as I have commanded you." Then He tells us again in verse 118 to "teach one another" and includes a bit of what to teach.

Verse 119 and 120 takes us back to the beginning of the circle where we are reminded to "Organize yourselves;" and have all our incomings and outgoings be in the name of the Lord. What a great way to look at having the Spirit of the Lord always with you. And we can help each other along the way, especially in our struggles. After all, isn't that part of the Lord's plan--to have us "succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.” (D&C 81:5)

3 comments:

Laurie said...

This post was an answer to an unsaid prayer for me! Last night, I decided I wanted to read this part of D&C 88. The only problem was that I wasn't sure where to start or where to end... Then, I woke up and found this great post! It was exactly what I was going to try to read, right here waiting for me! So thank you!!

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Wow! That is really cool!

Her Glitter Life said...

I like your blog....check mine: http://filipinalivingchicago.blogspot.com

If you would like to contribute to this blog, please email me at blhvamos [at] gmail [dot] com to be included as a blog author! (If I don't know you personally, please include your blog address or some background information about yourself. Thanks!)