In this digital age that we're living in, it's easy to be distracted ALL the time. I see so many (including me) get sucked in to their smart phone while life happens around them. I have a testimony of calmness. That means that I believe we ALL need more CALM in our lives. More pondering. Even more meditating. I know that the Spirit can't speak to us when we're always distracted. He wants to speak to us and teach us, but He's not going to be pushy. We have to do our part. We have to put all those screens down. Put them away. Shut them off. Silence them. Because we're missing some precious truths every time we get sucked into them.
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
As my family studies the Articles of Faith this year, I wanted to reflect that study in my blog. I absolutely love this Gospel and I love the simplicity of it. If we had nothing but the 13 Articles of Faith, we would have enough!
Latter-day Saints believe that the three members of the Godhead are three separate beings. We believe God is our literal Father in Heaven. His eldest son, Jesus Christ, is also our eldest brother. He volunteered to be the Savior of this world, so that we could return to live with Heavenly Father. The Holy Ghost is also an important member of the Godhead. If we are striving to be obedient, He can be our constant companion - showing us the way we should go.
We believe they are three separate beings, united in their purpose - to bring all of God's children back to Him after this life.
I know it's late in the month, but better late than never, right?? One of my newest hobbies is making these simple quote pages, so I thought I'd start doing this with the Visiting Teaching message each month. I'll try to get it up sooner, in the coming months! But I hope some of you can use this. I made it as a 4x6, so you can get it printed anywhere and stick it on a plate of cookies when you realize it's already Halloween and you haven't done your visiting teaching yet! Visiting teachers are welcome as trick-or-treaters, right?? ;)
Whenever I start thinking about past experiences and people in my past that I know I need to continuously forgive, I turn to the Gospel. The Church has wonderful videos that can help us through those tough times, if we let them. This video is one of my favorites on forgiveness. If he can forgive this young man, I can surely forgive people in my past.
When we don't forgive, we are essentially telling Christ that His Atonement isn't good enough for that person. We have to forgive. It's as simple as that. And I know that when we do, our lives are filled with peace.
Tonight I noticed that there's still a steady stream of page views for this blog, so I'm going to try to get it back up and running. :)
Tonight, I'd like to share my testimony of Personal Progress. I was called to Young Women's in February. It's the first time I've ever taught anyone over the age of 11! So I was overwhelmed at first, but now I can't imagine life without these girls in my life!
Part of the neat experience of Young Women is Personal Progress. I earned my medallion as a teenager, but now that I'm working on it again, I have a renewed love for it! As I go through the scriptures and the experiences set forth, I can feel the Spirit more easily in our home. And I can feel a deeper testimony within myself.
If you're not sure what you want to study, I suggest working through some of the Personal Progress goals. The combination of scriptures that they present are amazing. You'll learn lots about yourself and about the Savior!
- He is the perfect example. Whenever we’re wondering what to do, all we have to do is study His life and His example.
- Service is our way to rescue others.
- I need to serve others as quickly as I would look for a lost child. Because maybe they ARE lost, waiting for me to find them.
- Simply ACT.
- He blessed them one by one. We’re asked to do the same.
- Do the right thing at the right time WITHOUT DELAY.
I LOVE to serve others. I'm not happy if I can't help someone! I'm so grateful for all the opportunities I have to serve others. And I hope that I'm humble enough to allow others to serve me, as well. That's a little harder for me, but others need to experience the joy of service, too! :)
- God has a work for ME (and you!) to do - what is it? how can we figure that out? (patriarchal blessing...)
- We have scarcely scratched the surface, even with 14 million members. We EACH have a work to do!
- Our most important message is that there IS a Savior.
- I need to bear my testimony more, in every day activities.
- personal revelation is how we gain our testimony
- personal revelation guides us (how do we know what to do in life without it?)
- "have ye inquired of the Lord?" - have I?
- to receive - desire to receive, not harden our hearts, ask in faith, diligently keep the commandments
- study D&C 6
- most often, it will come as we study the scriptures, listen to prophets, seek to live a righteous life - I need to do these things if I want revelation
- be humble and faithful
- seek for wisdom instead of power
- seek guidance from the Holy Ghost
- your soul is satisfied when you are filled with the Spirit (formula for contentment)
- "It is our testimony, combined with our faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, and our knowledge of the Plan of Salvation which helps get us through these times of trial and hardship."
- "The testimony kept me."
- we must nourish and strengthen our testimony to keep it strong
- sometimes the Spirit is so delicate that we may not be conscious of it - to me, that means I need to be more aware of everything around me and in me - the Spirit isn't going to yell messages to me
I know the Lord can and WILL guide each of us as we seek His guidance and try to do what He asks us to do.
If you would like to contribute to this blog, please email me at blhvamos [at] gmail [dot] com to be included as a blog author! (If I don't know you personally, please include your blog address or some background information about yourself. Thanks!)
Testimonies of Christ
22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
23 For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—
24 That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God.
Testimony of the Prophet
“With all my heart and the fervency of my soul, I lift up my voice in testimony as a special witness and declare that God does live. Jesus is His Son, the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh. He is our Redeemer; He is our Mediator with the Father. He it was who died on the cross to atone for our sins. He became the firstfruits of the Resurrection. Because He died, all shall live again. ‘Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives: “I know that my Redeemer lives!” ’ May the whole world know it and live by that knowledge, I humbly pray, in the name of Jesus Christ, the Lord and Savior, amen.” President Thomas S. Monson
"For, for this intent have we written these things, that [our beloved brethren and our children] may know that we knew of Christ, . . . and not only we ourselves had a hope of his glory, but also all the holy prophets which were before us."