Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Book of Mormon

I finished The Book of Mormon once again today. It never ceases to amaze me that I learn SO much each time I read it! There's always a new concern or question in my life that it answers or clarifies. I've also noticed that I've been much more mellow in the last few months. I've always read my scriptures every day, but I think this time was a little bit different. I tried really hard to focus on what I was reading. If my mind wandered, I went back and started over! I don't know if that ever happens to you while you're reading your scriptures, but I find my mind wandering quite often! But whenever I realized it, I stopped reading and started over again.

Another difference was that I chose to read in the middle of the day, in the same room (for the most part) as my children. They've seen me reading, and sometimes they'd climb up on my lap and ask me to read out loud. It's such a joy to teach love for the scriptures to my children. They're young enough right now that this is pretty much their first experience with the scriptures.

I'd also like to thank my sister and her family for their consistence in reading as a family every single night. My family has always struggled with this, but seeing their example has given me courage to really focus on this when we get home from our vacation. Family scripture study was always a little stressful for me, because my kids would get bored or be loud or... etc. etc. etc. But it doesn't matter how much we read each night - just that we read! Even if that means 2 verses right now, at least we'll be forming the habit of reading every day!

I'd love to see posts from any others that took this 3-month challenge!!!

3 comments:

Tina said...

WhooHoo! Congratulations.

I am impressed with your ability to focus with the chaos that is so constanly around this place. :)

Family scripture study really has been an important part of raising our family. I especially love that all the girls now read on their own as well.

Shelly said...

I actually dropped the ball on this one. I have a read a little bit more lately though. Thanks for the reminder about what a great blessing the BOM can be in our lives.

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Family scripture study at our house has ups and downs too. Sometimes it is a grand argument about whose turn it is to start or who gets to sit where. But, other times we all, or at least some of us, get interested in the topic and gain insights from one another. Often it is the younger ones that come up with the surprising gospel clarifications.

My oldest is now 18 (the youngest is a baby)and I have journaled on the kid's behalf since the oldest was two. I recently turned most of that journal into a humorous book with many things I have learned from my children because of the things that they say and do. As I was going through all the old journal entries, I divided them into many categories. I was so pleased to discover that a large percentage of the humorous anecdotes had to do with the gospel. I tell you this because it is truly amazing how much kids take in that you don't really realize. Keeping family scripture study going is definitely worth it. It works!

If you would like to contribute to this blog, please email me at blhvamos [at] gmail [dot] com to be included as a blog author! (If I don't know you personally, please include your blog address or some background information about yourself. Thanks!)