Sunday, October 9, 2011

GC Notes - Elder Scott, October 2011

I've neglected this blog for way too long! As I listened to Conference last week, I made a goal that I would try to use the Internet as a tool to bring myself and others closer to Christ.

I'm grateful to others that do the same. Steph at Diapers and Divinity is one of those. She's been doing a General Conference Book Club for several Conferences now, and I've decided to join in the discussion this time around. So every week, I'm going to copy and paste the notes I make as I re-read/listen to each talk.

This week is Elder Scott's talk, "The Power of Scripture." What an amazing man!!!

My notes:

- the scriptures are a handbook for us - guidance for us
- the scriptures are pure truth
- "Scriptures are like packets of light that illuminate our minds and give place to guidance and inspiration from on high."
- they're how we communicate with God and Christ
- learning, pondering, searching, memorizing - like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths
- "Great power can come from memorizing scriptures."
- pondering scriptures gives a great deal of direction to life
- the scriptures can heal emotional challenges
- we need to read them over and over again because they take on new meanings, as we're going through new trials/experiences
- all the scriptures are important, not just the Book of Mormon
** - I love that he shows by example - he quoted by memory a scripture from each part of the standard works
- "Those who consistently read the Book of Mormon are blessed with an added measure of the spirit of the Lord."

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I loved your list of thoughts on Elder Scott's message. I love the conference messages so I will look forward to reading your thoughts on the talks.
Blessings to you and keep on enjoying your journey.

If you would like to contribute to this blog, please email me at blhvamos [at] gmail [dot] com to be included as a blog author! (If I don't know you personally, please include your blog address or some background information about yourself. Thanks!)