Friday, October 31, 2008

True Friends

"And now, Zoram, I speak unto you: Behold, thou art the servant of Laban; nevertheless, thou has been brought out of the land of Jerusalem, and I know that thou art a true friend unto my son, Nephi, forever." --2 Nephi 1:30

This verse made me think. Am I a true friend?? Would people say that they know I'll be a true friend to someone forever? Then I started thinking about what a true friend really is. That led me to the Topical Guide, under Friendship.

I think this verse defines what a true friend is: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." --John 15:13

I don't think that means to literally lay down our lives. (Obviously, it could, in some circumstances.) But I think it means to put our own "stuff" aside when a friend really needs us - even if for an hour or two, or for a short phone call. Being a true friend is to put that person first whenever they need it. And if they're a true friend, they'll do the same when you need them.

5 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

I think you're exactly right. Great post.

Stephanie said...

I agree with this, and it made me think that I should be a truer friend to my own children: I'm often not willing to stop what I'm doing just to listen or play.

Laurie said...

Oh my gosh! So true!!! I can't believe I didn't see that aspect of it! Yeah, that's definitely a couple of friendships that I need to work on!

CompleteLee Blogger said...

I have always liked Alma 15:18 as a great example of friendship between Alma and Amulek.

Good post. Friends/relationships are what is important, not all the other "stuff"! Thanks for the reminder.

Julia said...

Thanks for this reminder. I hadn't really thought of it that way. Great insight. Especially like Steph pointed out, being a "true" friend to our children.

If you would like to contribute to this blog, please email me at blhvamos [at] gmail [dot] com to be included as a blog author! (If I don't know you personally, please include your blog address or some background information about yourself. Thanks!)